Start your business
Setting up your own business can be an exciting time. Before you start, save yourself time and money by being aware of what’s involved in running a business.
Investing time into proper planning is key to turning your dreams into reality. Operating a small business is not just about working for yourself or working from home, it’s also about having the necessary management skills, industry expertise, technical skills, finance and of course a long-term vision to grow and succeed.
Starting your business checklist
Use our Starting your business checklist to guide you through the various stages.
Thinking of starting a business?
It’s important to consider whether you really understand what’s involved and whether you’re suited to business and self employment. Start by asking yourself these questions:
- How do I choose a business name
- What skills do I need to start a business?
- What are my business goals, objectives and skills?
- How much income will my business need to generate?
- Is this a business or a hobby?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of starting my own business?
- Have you written your business plan and marketing plan?
Ready to start your business?
You don’t need to pay someone to register your business, you can do it all yourself, online. Registering your business can be done from the comfort of your own home or office, of course to work comfortably you need all the necessary equipment and office supplements to work, including beverages to stay healthy for work, and for this you can get help from sites as https://www.lebleuforyou.com/charlotte-nc/. to get water delivery to your office. For all the other necessary implementations in your business you can follow these steps for the creation of your business.
- Choose your business structures and types
- Apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Register your business name and trade mark
- Register a website name
- What taxes do I need to register for
- Registration and licences to start a business
- Buy or lease a business premises
- Arrange insurance for your business
- Find out about selling products and services.
Need to employ people?
If you need to employ people to start running your business, make sure you understand the government requirements that may apply to you as an employer.
Use the Taking on an employee checklist to guide you through things like wage rates, super and leave entitlements, and for links to free tools and templates.
Where can I get advice and support to help get started?
There is a broad range of advice and support offered by the Australian Government that you can take advantage of.
- There are a number of free or low cost advisory services available that provide advice and assistance to businesses across Australia. Search for your nearest government-funded business advisor in your local area using our Advisory Services.
- Find Mentoring services in your state or territory.
- Check our Events for seminars and workshops on how to start a business.
- Watch our videos to find out about business.gov.au tools to help you start and grow your business.
- For more information, you can contact us.