Basic rules of thumb:
- Choose a cloud service provider known for strong network security, with multiple geographic regions and multi-level redundancy.
- Read the security and privacy fine print before you commit.
- It may seem obvious, but make sure you’re on a secure network.
- Set boundaries for your cloud. Who uses it? When and why?
- Perform ongoing security reviews; don’t just move to the cloud and forget about it.
Just like in nature, not all clouds are created equal, so do your due diligence — consider what you’ll be storing and what works best for your unique business needs.